Monday, December 14, 2009

Music for a meltdown

Well both of us parents and at least one of the kids reached a mini-meltdown day. It just gets tiring. So this morning I decided it was music time. I started with some comfort/inspirational music. Some Amy Grant from 20 plus years ago. “Love will find a way.” (Which I do believe) “Angels” (Beyond the walls an endless prayer is being lifted for us) “In a little while” (We’ll be home) and “Ageless Melody.”

For no particular reason other than we like kids and cartoons I put Chris Rice’s “Cartoon Song” on (What if cartoons got saved)

Then I needed a little more irony. Yesterday for the first time in two weeks we saw the sun. Don’t worry, today it is cloudy again with a dusting of snow. So what could be more appropriate than John Denver’s “Sunshine on my shoulders.” And as long as we are playing Denver why not “Rocky Mountain High.” Sticking with the weather theme we moved on to America’s “Horse with no name” (It felt good to be out of the rain wandering the desert, the desert was also a good metaphor for our emotional feelings)

Then “Yellow submarine” never thought the song made much sense but then again we are in Ukraine. The Rolling Stones “Start me up” because, well nothing ever seems to get started around here. “Magic” by Kenny Chesney, we could use a little and hey I needed something other than Rock.

ELO’s “All over the World” because we are. Supertramp’s “Take the long way home” I think we made that choice when we picked Ukraine. And Chicago’s “One more day” (NOT)

And last, but not least, Springsteen’s “Born in the USA” since I will be the only one of the five of us when we get home that can say this.

Feel free to toss us some of your favorites.

3 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

This has been running through my head the past few weeks...no explanation required!

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part


~ Felix ~

Kevin and Tammy said...

Hope your time goes quickly. I know you should be ending your 10 days by Friday. What is the new time frame at the Embassy? How many days are they going to be closed for Christmas.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a song for your current predicament, but when you're on your way home, you could play, "We are the Champions!" You're on the home stretch!